P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Doing a stage 1 to my bone stock 2012 FLSTC; K & breather kit;

Customer Question

Doing a stage 1 to my bone stock 2012 FLSTC; K & breather kit; Power Vision fuel map; 1 3/4" Samson true duals share w/ short baffle inserts & torque cones. Regarding the take; I have/known a very talented machinist that can port & polish the intake manifold. He said this would add around 5hp. Any insights would be appreciated!!!
KPAX
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
If he specifically said he would port and polish the intake manifold then he is not being very honest and you'll be throwing your money away.
If he is going to port and polish the heads then you'll probably gain a little power but, honestly, that money would be better saved for another time when you can commit to other engine work such as new cams and/or larger bore.
Because the heads would need to be removed and broken down, just porting and polishing and keeping original cam and bore size is really wasted labor that would need to be repeated at a later date.
I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.