Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2004 hd FLSTFI with 58k miles. A few thousand miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 hd FLSTFI with 58k miles. A few thousand miles ago, it started intermittenly sounding like one of the heads have shut down during deceleration and engine braking. This problem may continue for an hour or so, or until I shut it off for a while. Then the problem does not occur again for several days to weeks, maybe 1000+ miles. Also, when this problem occurs, my idle drops significantly. I will need to give it throttle to keep it running. Lastly, while this problem is occurring, I experience no degradation in acceleration, nice and smooth. Please advise what to look for.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
check for diagnostic codes:The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)SP = speedometerT = tachometer6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.7 - Record the codes.8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF. let me know what you find and we'll continue from there.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I receive None for all DTC's.The problem only occurs when it is hot outside or after running it hard for a extended period of time. So the engine is hot when the problem starts.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the most common heat related failure with EFI Harley's is the engine temperature sensor.this affects the sir/fuel mixture and can make the engine sound different without affecting performance much, but causing the idle to drop. if you are actually losing a cylinder, it can only be an intermittent failure in your engine management system. the module or the coil. the absence of diagnostic codes usually means there are no monitored equipment failures.that leaves the possibilities of a bad fuel pump, bad fuel regulator, debris in the fuel system or an intermittent failure of the coil or ECM. if system voltage is not correct, this can also cause many of those symptoms to appear. I would start by checking the charging system and battery.measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:- ignition OFF- ignition ON- with the start button depressed- with the engine at about 2,000 rpm. let me know what you find.Steve