Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2005 Kodiak 450 YFM450FAT. Went riding and shut it

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kodiak 450 YFM450FAT. Went riding and shut it off to take a brake, when I started it back up again it showed it was locked in 4wd and now wont go over 10 mph. I have checked it out and is completely disengaged but still shows locked in. I don't know what to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,
Two black relays under the seat put it in and out of 4wd and 2wd.
Try swapping them, maybe it will turn something up.

----
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried swapping the relays, putting it in and out of four wheel full lock and it worked for a few minutes but then went back to showing full lock after I disengaged. I have had it do this before, where it seemed to be all right and then it wasn't. The problem that really bothers me, is when I am fully disengaged and the 4x4 lock sign is on , I can't get above an idol and it wants to die. Where as I put it in full lock with everything completely engaged and I can go 20 mph. Also when I take it out of gear, fully disengaged, and the lock sign is on , I can rev up the motor and the light will go out, until the rpms come back down, and the light comes back on. And if I put it back in gear, I can't get above an idol unless I fully engage. I am going to start stripping it down to see if there is a short somewhere in the wiring. This machine is like brand new, hardly ever been ridden. I don't understand. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, even if I could fool the ECU unit like the override without actually using the override. Hope to hear from you soon, Thanks, sincerely Mark Sapp

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Try grounding the Green/Red wire on the CDI, I think that
is related to the limiter circuit. Might simulate full lock
and allow full speed. Worth a try anyway.

---
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Wayne, I haven't had time to work on this quad recently but time is running out ,and vacation is coming soon. I checked the green and red wire and it is already grounded through the switch. I think some other wire has to be sending the signal to the CDI unit, I don't know' I just road it again and if it isn't in full lock I can't go faster then 1 or 2 mph. The motor just cuts out anything over an idle. At full lock up I can take off and it runs fine to 20-22 mph. With everything disengaged the 4x4 symbol goes off but the diff lock sign is on and red light flashes. Also in neutral or park I rev up the motor and at half throttle and higher the diff lights go out until it comes back to idle. And again I put it in gear and I cant get over an idle. Oh and the override wont work unless the switches are pushed in and its locked up. I don't know if I can disconnect the rev limiter or not . Anyway I will keep trying and keep in touch. Thanks,,, Mark

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds very confused, I wonder if the charging system is reading okay. It acts like the relays are going off and on when you speed up the engine. Look for loose or dirty connectors. It is hard to figure out these intermittent electronic problems.

This page might interest you:

http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/92-drivetrain-suspension/19745-4wd-servo-problems-cheap-fix-how-lots-pics.html

----

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, I checked all connections , all wires everything I could see and get to. I tried grounding out green and red wire, and the white and black and black and red wire both coming from the front differential housing to the CDI. Then I grounded out the green and white wire from the reverse rev limiter. Nothing worked, fully unlocked I can't go past an idle, while fully locked in I can go 20 mph. Right now all wheels are off the ground checking lock and unlock, still showing fully locked while unlocked and front wheels not turning. I just found the speed sensor plug and disconnected it, runs perfect , I just don't know if I can leave it that way and what would happen if I took it riding in the dunes like that, as long as I didn't over rev . This quad even though its a 2005 has only 60 hours on it, never been ridden in the mud except wet road and probably only been in full lock up on a trail once or twice for a couple minutes each just to safely get out of a steep area or snow. Thanks for your input,,, Mark

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
It seems odd that parts fail at such low mileage but at least you found it.
Sensor problems are the worst as the symptoms are all over the place.
I think it would work okay if driven sensibly, no wild shifting etc. lol
Good luck and good job!
WS
----
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey again, I wanted to thank you for all your help. I know it has to be hard trying to figure out this stuff when you don't have the machine in front of you. I will post an excellent rating as you never gave up trying to help. Thanks again Sincerely, Mark

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the kind words, it can be pretty confusing troubleshooting bikes in my head.
It is easier physically but can be mentally tiring reading manuals
and wiring diagrams all day.
Take care,
WS
---