kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

Have a 74 ironhead sportster. Starting problem: new solenoid,

Customer Question

Have a 74 ironhead sportster. Starting problem: new solenoid, new battery, bendix and primary stuff look good. Problem is hit button and pinion engages but jumps back after short crank. Sounds like solenoid holding coil but it checks out fine. Help, Don
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don, when it kicks back is there any type of a humming noise or does it keep trying to kick the starter drive back out to the engagement position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pinion engages and will crank a bit but then the starter just spins. If I keep doing it it sometimes starts. No humming noise. Acts like the solenoid coil is not holding plunger in long enough to get a good crank. Could the plunger be the problem?
Usually I don't see the plunger bad in situations like this but rather the starter bendix or the bendix dragging in the bushing on the primary cover which cause it not to spin fast enough to keep the gear kicked out.
What I would suggest doing to avoid problems in the future is go ahead and pull the starter assembly and rebuild it as far as the bearings for the bendix, bendix and check the play in the pull arm pivot for binding. Those can wear also causing this.
I'll post a link below to a you tube video that covers this in great detail. Just copy and paste the link in your web browser to view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LBlru5BkQ
Also I apologize for not getting back with you yesterday. I was stuck at doctor appointments all day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the video and many others as I'm tearing my hair out. I have the primary cover back off and plan to replace bearing even though it feels good. Will let you know, thanks.
Sounds good, good luck with it.