Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Suzuki rm 250 with Mikuni crab. Gas just pours from crab overflow.

Customer Question

Suzuki rm 250 with Mikuni crab. Gas just pours from crab overflow. Have cleaned crab still leaking. How come
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I would appreciate the opportunity to help with your question today.
this is caused by a problem with the float needle and/or needle seat.
you need to shut off the fuel and remove the float bowl, then:
- inspect the seat to ensure it is clean and there is no corrosion or debris preventing the needle from sealing off the fuel flow.
- inspect the float to ensure there is nothing preventing it from floating. make sure it's not cracked or broken or full of fuel.
- inspect the float needle to ensure it is clean, not corroded, has no buildup of old decomposed fuel varnish and that the tip is in good condition and not hard or cracked. if it is the original float needle, you should consider replacing it with one from a rebuild kit. over time, the needle tip gets hard, preventing it from sealing off the fuel flow.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve