Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

So I have a 95 zx6r that feels like it's being starved at around

Customer Question

So I have a 95 zx6r that feels like it's being starved at around 70-80mph, just doesn't want to go any faster. It seems irrelevant of RPM because at lower speeds I can take it easily to 10-11k yet at the higher speed it's around 6k and just bogs down. Now I've had the bike about a month and it ran perfectly at first, not even a slight indication of any problems up until I had to take the tank/airbox/front fairing off to re-attach an indicator. Put it all back together and then the problem appeared, also changed the oil and filter at the same time but don't think it's that. Now I've been looking all around the work I did to try find something I may have plugged in wrong or forgot about but I can't find anything wrong for love nor money and I'm out of ideas. So here we are, hopefully get this sorted here
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, remove the sparkplugs to check particularly the burn color of the ceramic tip. If light brown to almost whitish, then a lean mix.Preliminary suspect; a likely possibility is an air leak which would be the major contributing factor for the lean mix. Check the air cleaner box, filter/element and the 4 couplings to the carb mouths. Air should only have entry through the 2 air ducts feeding the designated entry ports of the air box and no other. Please re-check and ensure that all are mounted correctly, tightly and no chance of air leak anywhere in the system.Please post back results / observations of the above preliminary checks.