P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

2008 road King. Check engine light flashing in stop and go

Customer Question

2008 road King. Check engine light flashing in stop and go traffiC on a very hot day. Next day loud knocking in motor. No loss of power and had to ride 200 miles to get home. When starting yesterday after fuel stop, it blew something out of the breather. But then started ok.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
I'm worried from your description that you've lost one or both of your piston oiler jets.
There are a couple ways to get an idea of what is going on without major disassembly.
You can remove the crank position sensor and, with the plugs removed and the bike jacked up, roll the engine over looking for signs of a large amount of oil in the crankcase and/or metal particles clinging to the crankshaft.
You can also pull the case drain plug directly on the bottom of the engine and catch the oil to check for metal particles.
If you hear knocking inside the engine it is obviously never good and should be checked out.
I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.