Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1986 bayou 300. I bought it not running. The plastics

Customer Question

I have a 1986 bayou 300. I bought it not running. The plastics are great as it has been garage kept. It wasn't running, but with a new battery and a carb cleaning, I had it started and idling with fresh oil (to soak any gaskets) for 1 hour. I washed it and would not start. I ordered a Carb off ebay and I am getting mostly backfire through the carb and sometimes the occasional start for a split second. I have changed the coil, stator, cdi and rectifier? My real question is this, can you tell me the settings on that aftermarket carb for this model 4 wheeler. The carb has a K, then a symbol of some sort, then an H on it. The only other letters I can find are a VE.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, please provide a clear picture of the carb. Offhand, it may likely be a Keihin VE series. If the engine is still stock, then the new carb should follow closely the original carb's specs as may be viewed HERE.Still, attempt to start again with throttle partially open. Then proposed checks (if have not been done) : • carefully remove the sparkplug; • check if the burn color of the ceramic at the tip end; • results would indicate: - if black/soothy, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue; - if light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern; • check if the tip is wet with fuel; • carefully perform a spark test; • results would indicate: - if not wet or very wet, then fuel delivery issue; - if no/weak spark then electrical/ignition concern; • consider replacing the sparkplug(s) (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating as suspect(s).Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the pic of the lettering. Plugs are carbon filled. Good spark. Have poured gas into plug hole and still has the same effect. Spit ,spat,sput. Mostly out of the carb. BUT, when I did have it running, it was the same exact carb as this new one. Neither work now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to attach the pic
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Apprecxiate the additional information and picture; yes, a Keihin KE carb. When running "...Spit ,spat,sput...", what is the spark plug burn color please? And is an airbox with filter/element installed correctly over the carb's mouth?