Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a Polaris Ranger and need to remove the rear driveline.

Customer Question

I have a Polaris Ranger and need to remove the rear driveline. The CV Joint has failed. I've tried to pull it out, pry it out it just won't release any tricks for removal .....
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried the short quick jerks approach till I'm blue in the face --- can I pry on it? or is their a special tool that I can buy to pry the drivelive out ---- had my son come over and he tried the short jerks referenced in the manual it just won't budge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well a friend stopped by and showed me something I thought I'd share. The axle would not come out no matter how much we jerked .... but 2 small pry bars, a little pressure and him tapping on the plunger with a ball peen hammer repeatedly freed it up and it vibrated right out with continued tapping .... I was impressed.... What happened was the ring had rusted and essentially would not move with all the rust in the groove ---- the tapping cut groves in the snap ring and allowed some of the rust to be distributed away from the clip ---- that allowed it to pass the grove and be pulled out ---- thought you might want to know this may help someone in the future ----- pretty nifty trick
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome,

I appreciate your tips on getting the rusty axle out.
Good thing your friend showed up, maybe we can help
next time, enjoy your new parts.
--
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah Wayne perhaps you already knew that little trick but it amazed me --- it just walked right out with a continuous tapping of the hammer
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the shock of a hammer blow works better then
just pulling or prying. That technique works on other
areas where you have very tight parts.
That is why an impact wrench works well on various bolts,
the shock tends to jar loose things that are almost
impossible to get off any other way.
Good call by your buddy there, good luck with your Ranger.
------