Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

My 1997 Vulcan 1500 has been sitting months, fired it

Customer Question

My 1997 Vulcan 1500 has been sitting for 6 months, fired it up today but clutch has no pressure so won't engage...???
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?
Clarify what's happening here,
#1 Engine running you pull in the clutch lever and click it into gear and what happens ?
#2 Engine running and its in first you let out the clutch lever and what happens ?
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny, Lance here, Engine is running, zero resistance when I pull in clutch lever, when I put it in first bike just takes off without releasing clutch.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lance, thanks for getting back, your clutch plates are stuck together, this happens when they sit for a period of time. It can be aggravated by having moisture in the oil when the bike was last put up and or the oil residue that is on the plates varnishes up, causing them to stick together where they will not release from one another.
The normal way is to take the clutch apart and you can sometimes sand blast the steel plates and then clean the friction plates with a solvent. Another way and you have to be careful is get set up on the street and then try to start the bike where you can take off while holding the clutch lever in, then applying the throttle on and off while still holding the lever in you can sometimes get them to break free of each other, depending on how stuck they are it can sometimes take a bit to get them unstuck. If you are going to try this I sugget you get the engine as warm as you can.
Then if you get them unstuck go ride and slip the clutch a bit, this will knock off some of the material that was causing them to stick.
Not sure of your model if you have anything but an A model and you are actually going to pull the clutch out of it, let me know as you can change a few parts to make it last longer, its what they came up with on the 1600.
Also if you get it unstuck then make sure you get fresh oil in your engine !
Thanks Lance, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kenny, I will try getting them to free up on the street first, will report back.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know how it turns out !
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had time to get it out on the street yet, will try it this Saturday morning and let you know if those clutch plates become unstuck. Thanks-Lance
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lance !
Just get it warm and you shouldn't have any problems.
Thanks
Kenny