Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

How to adjust settings cb Trasmit on 14 rt. my transmit

Customer Question

How to adjust settings for best cb Trasmit on 14 rt. my transmit is no ice and breaks up
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
transmit mode is affected by the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) on the antenna.all CB antennae are adjustable. typically, there a portion of the antenna that is held in place with an allen set screw. to adjust the antenna, remove the antenna cable from the antenna and connect an SWR meter in-line, then loosen the screw and move the antenna up or down and checking the swr by keying the transmit button and reading the meter. you want to set the SWR to the lowest achievable. ideally, you want 1:1. if you cannot get close to 1:1, it is an indication of a problem in your cable or antenna. if the coax cable is kinked, for instance, your swr will be high and you will have to replace the cable. (look for the type of cable on the cable jacket....you probably have RG-58 or 59. RG 58 has a minimum bend radius of 1", RG 59 has a minimum bend radius of 1.2") you can buy a SWR meter on-line or from your local Radio Shack.if you know someone with a CB in their car or truck, they may even have one you can borrow. let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if you do, please ask.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you and ride safe.
Steve