Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My motorbike is either over-revving when stationary or it stalls

Customer Question

My motorbike is either over-revving when stationary or it stalls altogether, depending on what setting I set the air-fuel mixture. It then takes a long time to get up to speed if it does at all.
I didn't have this problem before the winter. I admit I have let the bike sit idle over the winter.
The bike is a Kymco Pulsar 125.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):
  • • drain and replace all the old fuel;
  • • preferably pull down the carb and clean throughly particularly the jets, ports and pinholes;
  • • carefully loosen and remove the drain screw to allow spraying carb cleaner into the carb's drain hole;
  • • open the air box and remove air filter/element to do the same and allow spraying the card through the air intake with carb cleaner.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. Your patience is appreciated as I don't have a lot of opportunity to spend with my bike. However, I will look at these options as soon as I can and get back to you.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the post back and would look forward to an update when able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you kindly look at the photo of the fuel tap below. How would you recommend detaching and reattaching the hoses?

fuel tap

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

For "..detaching and reattaching the hoses...", first loosen the hose clips and carefully pry away using a flat bladed screwdriver.

Ensure that there is consistent flow of clean fuel from the upper port when vacuum is applied at the lower port.