Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have duel pipes with fishtail tips how do I stop the popping

Customer Question

hi I have duel pipes with fishtail tips how do I stop the popping on decal I have screaning eagle tuner
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Decel popping is caused by the detonation of unburned fuel in the exhaust pipe. This happens with high flow exhausts that allow more fresh air to be pulled into the pipe, causing the exhaust temperature to rise and detonate any unburnt fuel. Ways to reduce and possibly eliminate this popping are listed below. Exhaust leaks can cause decel pop, make sure the exhaust is sealed completely at the motor, and at any other connections. - On newer Delphi fuel injected bikes, we have found that adding fuel is needed to reduce popping. Highlight the zero percent column and instead of using negative numbers, try adding fuel to the map. Start with putting a value of 25 in the cells and see if the popping has reduced.- Adjusting the ignition table could also help in deceleration popping. Advance the timing in the zero percent column 3 to 5 degrees to see if popping has been reduced.- Do not do any changes below 2,000 rpm due to the fact that it could affect fueling at idle. let me know if you need more help,Steve