TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I have a kawasaki KLF300 4x4 1995, it seems to be going

Customer Question

Hi
I have a kawasaki KLF300 4x4 1995, it seems to be going through spark plugs like its gone out of fashion. When firing the quad up it seems to rev itself fairly high, if i engage the choke it brings the revs down, the plugs are coming out black and loosing their spark, I've replaced the throttle spring in the carb for the slider with a brand new genuine kawasaki spring. Any ideas what this could be?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
What is the history of this problem? Has the atv ever run right since you owned it? Was any repair work performed on it prior to the onset of the problem? Did this problem develop gradually or all at once?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we bought it back in January, it had a flat battery, threw a brand new Yuasa battery in it, the correct one according to the Yuasa battery, it was miss firing so took the carb appart, throughly cleaned it with carb cleaner, replaced the carb spring as the spring was bent and lost the tension, also replaced the needle for the vacuum on the carb, the jets were round the wrong way so changed them around, it ran a lot better but with the same problem of high reving and killing spark plugs, tried another carb on it and still have the same issues. Quad has good compression.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Look closely at the rubber manifold where the carb attaches to the head to be certain that the carb is fully seated into the rubber manifold. If good try running the engine and spray some aerosol carb cleaner all around the rubber manifold. If the idle speed changes then there is an air leak on the manifold. It may be cracked or leaking from the o rings on either side of the plastic insulator between the head and the rubber manifold. If good check to be certain that the air vent tube on the top of the carb is not clogged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will have a look at that this week and get back to you
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
ok