Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I put a new spyke 1.4 kw starter, new solenoid, new battery,

Customer Question

I put a new spyke 1.4 kw starter, new solenoid, new battery, new battery cables, new starter relay, new circuit breaker on my 1988 fxsts. When I hit the start button my solenoid kicks out but my starter won't turn, if i cross the wires at my solenoid the starter barely turns. Any ideas
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I suspect your starter drive is worn and binding.the starter drives gears and shafts with bushings and bearings that wear out over time. at the solenoid......the battery POS cable goes to the LONG stud, the cable from the solenoid to the starter motor goes on the shorter stud.the wire from the relay goes to the smaller terminal. if it's wire right, I would suggest rebuilding the starter drive. this is often overlooked and the cause of most hard starting issues. let e know if you need more help.Steve