P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I wash my 1999 classic, it would not start after. it is the

Customer Question

I wash my 1999 classic, it would not start after. it is the second time it has happened in the last year, took it to hd dealership, could not find problem, it start up about four days later i think water is getting into some thing, where can I look to solve this problem
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
It does sound like a water problem so I'd say you're on the right track.
The first place I would eliminate would be the connection for the cam and crank sensors. They are the two sensors that tell the ignition when to fire and the fuel when to squirt.
There is a plug located down on the right side of the bike. You can follow the wires leading out of the "nose cone" or cam cover on the right side and it will lead you back to the plug. Just pull it apart and take a look to make sure everything is clean and dry with no signs of water. I would recommend using dielectric grease inside the plug regardless of what you find.
It really could be in any plug on the ignition and fuel injection system, including the ignition module, though it isn't common on your bike unless you just spray a ton of water in the seat and side cover area. It may be worth checking though.
Look for signs of a "rolled" gaskets or ones that are permanently deformed. Some plugs do not have seals on the back side around the wiring and this is the number one spot for water to get in.
I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.