Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Kawasaki vulcan 900 classic lt 2009. has an intermittent starting

Customer Question

kawasaki vulcan 900 classic lt 2009. has an intermittent starting problem where it cranks but wont start. then go back in a day or 2 and it starts and runs good for a couple days.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** need to know the mileage on your unit and if you can go into a little more detail, does this only after the unit is warm, or if you start it when its cold and shut of off and then will it restart ?
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typically happens when the engine is cold. when it does start, it will usually run ok the rest of the day. the current mileage is approx. 44,000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is anyone still there?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Few more questions ?
Thanks for getting back, so if I'm understanding you correctly its hard starting in the mornings when cold ? and what about after riding it when its hot and say you stop for 20 minutes, does it start right back up ?
Any modifications, pipes.....power commander...etc ?
Service records: Last times the valves were adjusted ?
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no modifications to bike. once I get it started, it will usually be ok for the rest of the day, stopping for awhile etc. valves have never been adjusted. again, this is an on again off again problem. sometimes it will start in the morning and run all day. other times I can't get it started for a few days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
recent oil change, new plugs and air filter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks !
You have what sounds like an intermittent electrical issue, so now we need to determine that you have a spark issue or something else ?
First off you are WAY over do for a valve adjustment, tight valves can make an engine hard starting and or not even start at all, you should have had your first adjustment at 24,000 miles and then every 24,000, not sure that is what's going on but that something that needs to get done.
Are you able to pull your fuel tank off ? or maybe get a spark tester to see when you are cranking it over that you have spark, there can be a few things that can contribute to that in the electrical side of the ignition, you will also need a multi-meter and with my direction check a few things. Reason you would need to lift the fuel tank up it to get to the spark plug caps, I would basically have you pull one of the caps off and then insert a spark plug into it and then ground that spark plug to see of its sparking while turn the engine over ?
But in any case here, we need to start eliminating so of the possibilities so we can move forward.
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that I have the capabilities of doing what you are suggesting by myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that the valves need adjusting and will have that taken care of
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Yes Joe you will need to do the work, if you don't feel comfortable then I would suggest 2 things, first get your valves checked, that is something that really needs to get done.
Second if you are going to bring this in to a shop, have them check the side stand switch, this is an interlock switch and can cause a spark issue, from what you are describing it sounds to be an intermittent problem on the ignition side of it, this is where I would start, unfortunately it will require some diagnosing on your part.
Thanks
Kenny
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Joe !
Kenny