Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1997 Yamaha big bear 350. lost spark. stator went

Customer Question

hi I have a 1997 Yamaha big bear 350. lost spark. stator went bad. replaced. flywheel was bad, put in good condition used flywheel. no has intermittent spark. new plug, new coil timing is set right cdi good what could be the issue
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially and based on the above descriptions, three (3) preliminary possibilities:• flywheel issue with the pickup coil (least likely);• CDI wiring particularly the kill wire (likely);• loose engine ground (most likely). Please post back results / observations of the above once checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. Which wire is the "kill wire"? Do you know what color/colors it is? Engine ground is fine. Thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, It would be a black/white wire from the CDI unit that is common/shared by both the ignition/main and engine stop switches. For the CDI to fire the ignition coil, this wire must not be tied to the ground.