Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Installed new turn signals front and back, and new tail light,

Customer Question

Installed new turn signals front and back, and new tail light, brake only (all incandescent bulbs). Mocked everything up before install and everything worked except blinkers, but running lights worked. Installed everything and made terminations, now my headlight and front running lights don't work. Fuses are good. hear a click when ignition is turned on and headlight flashes, but then goes off. Any suggestions? 1996 Heritage softail
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
whatever you have done, you have grounded or shorted the main power to the bike.although you do have a few fusses under the seat, your bike also has a MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER, mounted under/behind the battery box.this is a thermal breaker. what you hear is the lick when it pops open and the lick when it cools and makes contact again.if the main circuit breaker trips but no fuses blow, your problem is somewhere between the following components:- battery (POS) terminal, starter solenoid, main circuit breaker, ignition switch, fuse block.you probably pinched a wire replacing the fuel tank, rear fender and/or seat. you will have to retrace your work to find the problem. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I reset that main breaker? Or is there definitely a short?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
it resets itself.you definitely have a short or ground.you need to find it and correct it. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if you do, please ask.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you and ride safe.
Steve