Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Buddy of mine has a 99 road king and its a true gem only 3200

Customer Question

Buddy of mine has a 99 road king and its a true gem only 3200 miles on her and its never seen a single rain drop.only problem is shes hardley seen the light of day either so we have a gummed up bad fuel pump,and ive built my own bikes for yrs only ive never had the pleasure of replacing this in tank pump on the 99 road king so whats the quirks and easiest route in doing this task successfully?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the first thing I would do is buy a HD service manual and a HD pars catalog from your local HD dealership.I can tell you how to do it but.......nothing beats a factory service manual for instructions and a factory parts catalog to see how it all fits together. the parts in the tank......fuel pump and filter and hoses....are connected to the canopy.the canopy is a plate under the dash. once the screws are removed, the canopy lifts up so you can disconnect the fuel lines and remove the internals. in the future, when the bike is to be parked for an extended period, I would recommend you treat the fuel with STABIL.when you're ready to remove the bike from storage, treat the fuel with SEAFOAM to clean the fuel system as you ride.a little pre planning can save you a lot of work. let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if you do, please ask.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you and ride safe.
Steve