P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I just bought a 2011 Street Glide, 96 CI.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2011 Street Glide, 96 CI. They don't put a oil cooler on a 2011. I don't understand. It seems to run a little warm. Why and should I put one on?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Harley doesn't put an oil cooler on any bike.they do offer some newer models with liquid cooled heads, but that has nothing to do with the oil. I recommend an oil cooler for all Twin Cam models. you should also check to see if a Stage 1 Download has been installed. if not, having it done will make the engine run a bit cooler.you can buy a oil cooler kit from Harley or aftermarket. let me know if you need help finding one. you also have the option of installing a "tuner" to adjust the air/fuel mixture.tuning it a bit richer will make the engine run cooler. let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't much help, I was just at Harley and they looked it up in the book. 08- 10 come with a oil cooler and 2012 same bike with a 103 comes with it ?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
that is incorrect.the ONLY models HD offer with an oil cooler before 2012 are the CVO models.the*****glide comes with an oil cooler.no street glide prior to 2012 comes with an oil cooler. Let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just talked to them on the phone. He said the 103s come with oil coolers. why Not the 96 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you first said Harley didn't put oil coolers on any bike, Don't know what to think now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please don't charge my account, Im not happy with the service at all. Thank You
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
I know you aren't happy with service up to this point and you can get your money back without issue if you choose but I wanted to give the answer to your question regardless.
HD installs plenty of oil coolers from the factory, your 96" motor wasn't one of them though.
Twin cam motors really all need oil coolers. The design of the oil system, with the piston cooling jets shooting oil directly onto the underside of the hottest part of the piston, causes the oil to pick up much more heat than older engine designs and get the oil much hotter than previous V-twins.
It has been said that they only reason they were not installed from the introduction of the Twin Cam was simply because "they" didn't like the looks.
The reason they got away without them on 96" motors is that the engine had relatively low compression ratios of 9.2:1 which allows them to run at an "acceptable" temperatures. Though higher than the 88" motors compression ratio before them, HD was still able to control detonation or "pinging" at this compression ratio and the engine's normal oil temperatures didn't cause gaskets to soften and cause leaks.
CVO bikes in earlier years had many overheating problems because of their increased compression ratios and oil temperatures. Before the coolers were factory installed on them they would get hot enough to soften and blow head gaskets with very low mileage. Their compression ratios were lowered in later models to help control the heat.
The oil coolers became standard in 2011 on all the 103 PowerPak engines that were available as an option beginning that year.
The main reason was that 103 had a compression ratio that was increased over the 96". Compression ratio of the 103 was bumped all the way up to 10:1. They had also install automatic compression releases because of this. It was increased to a point that HD could no longer control detonation when the engine reached its normal operating temperature without the cooler installed. They had a thermostat located in the feed lines that would open when the engine oil reached 185 degrees which is the point where the emissions became acceptable.
The bot***** *****ne is that oil coolers are great and I would recommend installing one. Anytime you can help keep you engine a little cooler you are benefiting the engine. If you choose to install one, use one with a thermostat so that your bike can actually heat up enough in cooler weather.
I hope this helps.
Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the way the question should have been answered in the first place and I thank you. I would not have minded paying the money if it was handled this way from the start but I was lied to from the get go, telling me that No HD motorcycle ever had a oil cooler on them.. could not get a honest answer from the start. There for I do not believe I owe the fee. Thank You, ***** ***** you sound like you know what your talking about.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.
I'll submit the question for a refund.
Thanks, P.J.