P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I just replaced the speedometer on my 2006 HD 883 and I am

Customer Question

I just replaced the speedometer on my 2006 HD 883 and I am receiving the following message [V IN ER ]
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
The VIN error message appears only (at least on your model bike) when the gauge has already been "married" (installed on) to another bike. This process happens when the gauge is installed and accumulated more than 31.1 miles.
I'm not sure there is any way around it.
A dealer may be able to reset the gauge using the digital tech computer but I've never tried to have one do it. They probably can if you have proof of previous mileage as the main reason for this marrying procedure is to try to prevent odometer fraud.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.