Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2010 Softtail Custom. When I press the starter button,

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Softtail Custom. When I press the starter button, nothing happens. Lights burn, horn blows, new battery fully charged. When I turn the switch on the tank to IGN, I hear the five second sound it normally makes. There is a red key flashing on the odometer. What am I missing?
Reggie
email: *****@******.***
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
The flashing key indicator is telling you the security system is armed. The most likely reason is that your fob battery is low or dead causing it not communicate with the security module. It takes a 2032 model battery installed positive side down. Many new batteries are too low right out of the package. The battery must have 3.0 volts or above for the HD system. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.