Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 85 Honda nighthawk 450. The problem is it idles great

Customer Question

I have a 85 Honda nighthawk 450. The problem is it idles great at start up but after about 90 seconds the left side cuts out completely. Once I hit the throttle it fires back in with no hesitation. Plugs are new, I just cleaned the carbs, new fuel line and filter. Also it was running just the opposite lastnight. Right side was out and the left was hitting hard and running rich.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
he sparkplugs are lack indicating a rich running condition then the most likely cause is the float needles are not seating ad that is allowing carbs to overfill the float bowls with fuel which is sucked into the intake. You said you cleaned the carbs but you need to pull them back off and recheck the float needles and seats.