P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

P.J.

Customer Question

HI P.J.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How can I help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE A 2000 H-D HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC.I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THESE 2 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES MEAN:42 AND 56
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
42 is a current cam sensor error code.I'm not sure that a 56 exists as I can't find the definition in any manuals I have handy. I'll keep digging for it.Are you having no spark/no start problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU!I HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL STARTING THE BIKE.MY MECHANIC IS TRYING EVERYTHING TO KNOW WHAT THESE CODES MEAN, BECAUSE IT SEEMS EVERYTHING IS FINE. THE ENGINE LIGHT GETS ON ON AFTER A WHILE.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
The 56 is also crank/cam sensor code. Your bike has both. The cam sensor in the nose cone on the right side and the cam sensor in the case near the end of the oil filter.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
There is an ECM update that solved the "false code" issue. The update is done at the dealer with a small labor charge.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
If the bike is running good then the update is the most likely fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SO THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO WORRY ABOUT? NO NEED TO CHANGE ANY SENSOR OR CABLES?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
If it is running good then there really isn't anything to worry about. If the light is steady on then I'd have the re-flash done as it may decide to leave you beside the road somewhere. If it is on 8 seconds or so then off I'd ride it until you get tired of seeing it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU FOR HELP P.J!!RENATO
QUITO, ECUADOR.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Renato. Take care! P.J.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Renato. Take care! P.J.