Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

Hi! I have a 1997 Marauder 800. It has been sitting for several

Hi! I have a 1997 Marauder 800. It has been sitting for several years. I pulled it back out, changed oil, filter, new plugs, etc. The bike starts immediately. The problem is that it only starts and runs on idle when choke is pulled, somewhat rough. When I try to give it some gas, it dies on me. I would also like to mention that one exhaust gets very hot, the other warm. Putting my hand at the back of the pipes, one blows hot and the other blows almost cool. What can I do or check? I am not a motorcycle mechanic, so I don't really want to start tearing Carbs apart, especially with the carbs being synced to each other.

Christopher :

Hello how are you

Customer:

Hi, good and how are you?

Christopher :

I am well, thanks. Your thoughts are correct. The issue here lies in the carbs, after sitting for as little as 30 days fuel begins to go bad, when this happens, the bad fuel gums up and blocks the small passageways that feed fuel into the engine, applying the choke opens up another avenue for the fuel to flow.

Christopher :

At this point the carbs will need to come off of the bike, be completely disassembled, soaked in a quality carb cleaning solution ovenight, then everything blown out with compressed air

Customer:

ok, that's what I was afraid of

Customer:

is there no type of gum remover, like sea foam, etc. that would work?

Christopher :

Carb work, especially the rear one, on that bike is no easy task.

Christopher :

You can try a product called "mechanic in a bottle" i have had success with small engines using it. However, i allways end up cleaning the carbs from motorcycles by hand. Old school

Customer:

what does this type of work usually run in regards XXXXX XXXXX?

Customer:

ok, I'll give that a shot. I've used that before also with my tractor and it worked great.

Christopher :

Labor rates will vary depending on location, expect to be charged approx 4 hours labor

Christopher :

If you have any further questions or problems feel free to ask. Please remember to rate your experience, my goal is excellent service. Thanks and good luck!

Customer:

ok, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the mechanic in a bottle a shot

Christopher :

You are welcome

Customer:

Thanks for your support.

Christopher :

Have a good day

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX