Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a 2013 Honda Rubicon FA. On my hunting trip, I got about

I have a 2013 Honda Rubicon FA. On my hunting trip, I got about 10 miles in, and stopped to talk . when I turned it back on, it was flashing" - - - ESP" 5 times (I was running in auto low). I later found that if I started and instantly put into low, and did not let it idle (power brake slightly) I could drive it but could not go streight into reverse. it acted like it was hydro-locked, engine would sputter,knock,smell like the choke was on. If I shut it off and went streight to reverse, sometimes I could back up a few feet. By the time I got back home it now blinks 6 times. ESP Mode would not shift
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

hello,

Your atv is in a fail safe mode due to a failed sensor. When one of a few sensors go bad the atv will blink out its coorisponding code and not allow the atv to shift, go in reverse, or rev out. Curing the failed sensor will bring everything back to normal. Your code 5 and 6 refer to the angle sensor. This sensor is very very common to fail. It will need to be replaced properly for there are a few steps involved with replacing it out. Being this is 2013 I would press the issue with the dealership you purchased this from to get this replaced out under warranty. if you do not feel for whatever reason this can be done and you would want to attempt replacing this out yourself let me know by just responding back to this thread and I will tell the details. Thank you.

Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wish I could take back to dealer, but I bought this used for a very good price.(12.6 hrs.&about 30 miles). They took out the front lower left swing arm +handlebars + ESP shift button control - - only cracked it but I replaced it anyway. When I "rang out" the wire loom from the 21p plug to ground, I found that the readings were inconsistant - - good- move the shifter and back and now open, found this on L_D_N_R. grab the actual linkage and I can make or break contact without moving it much. now, I was in the process of ringing out the 4p to the switch. I never get the N to show up when I start it. It goes streight to - - - ESP

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
HI and thank you for your question.
This is a swash plate angle sensor error code (6).
If the connections for the sensor are indeed connected and clean, then the sensor has failed and will need to be replaced.
If you do end up replacing it, you will need to preload it 1/4 turn upon installation.
This should fix you right up!
Thanks
RSRBOB