Motorcycle Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic ASAP
Is the headlight the only bulb that burns out?
If yes, check for any bare or burned spots on the wire. It's common for the clamps to come loose or break and the wire loom to hit the exhaust pipe.
If the wiring looks good, take a voltage reading at the headlight bulb. If you have an EFI or electric start sled, also take a reading at the battery. Your headlight voltage will probably be AC unless it's an electric start model and your battery voltage will be a DC test of course.
Let me know what you find.
voltage is 13.99 and spikes as high as 17.99
I need to know what your exact model is and if you have EFI and a battery, or electric start. Was that reading taken at the headlight or the battery?
1995 xcr440 - carb - no battery -taken at headlight
Thanks for that information.
That should use the 2 wire regulator. Being you replaced that already, either the regulator ground is bad or the new regulator is bad.
The regulator sends excess voltage to ground, so make sure where it mounts is well grounded. You may need to file the paint or rust off the frame where it bolts to.
If your regulator is well grounded, then the regulator must be bad. It's a very simple system on that sled.
is there anyway to check a voltage regulator
Not really. If the voltage goes over 14.5, then it's usually a sign the regulator is bad.
Do you have one from another sled you can try?
yes i can take it off the other 440
would a bad ground burn out the regulator
It can overheat if it isn't grounded properly. Excess voltage is sent to ground, so if it isn't grounded it would quickly overheat and possibly melt the internal parts
Sorry, it was dog and cat feeding time. They panic if they don't get fed on time.
thank you for the info.i will try the other regulator and it works
Let me know if that fixes it.