CycleTechChick
CycleTechChick, Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained with 25 years experience
64407665

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500. When I try to start it,

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500. When I try to start it, it just makes a clicking noise. I do have power to the instrument cluster when I turn the key on. I charged the battery up and it still makes the clicking noise when I try to start it.

Model # XXXXX
Vin # XXXXX

Any ideas what could be causing this? I've heard about the recall and when I checked the model # XXXXX it wasn't listed.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  CycleTechChick replied 2 years ago.

CycleTechChick :

Hey there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to help you out with your question today. Have you had the battery tested? Typically this is caused by a bad battery. The battery may take a charge but if it's bad, it will not hold the charge.

CycleTechChick :

Hey there. Just following up to see if you were ready to troubleshoot the issue with your Polaris.

Customer:

Hi Rebecca,

Customer:

Sorry for the slow reply, been working a lot. I tried a new battery and it still won't start, just makes the clicking noise.

CycleTechChick :

No worries. Thanks for getting back to me. Ok so then we know it has power. One step further then. There is a starter solenoid that is next in line for starting. We need to jump across it to make sure there is power going through the solenoid. If it will start by jumping across the solenoid, we know that's the issue. If not, we need to check the starter itself. Sometimes the brushes can bind up from getting moisture in the starter over time and begin to give issues. You can find the starter and tap on the side using the handle of a screwdriver which will free up the brushes. If it will start after doing this, you will need to either rebuild or replace the starter. Let me know what you find out so we can go from there. If you need more details on how to do these things, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out.

Customer:

Can you give me details on where to find the starter and how to do this test? This atv is new to me and not sure where everything is at yet.

CycleTechChick :

This is what the starter looks like. It will be bolted to the engine. For the starter, you'll just tap on the side of it a few times....not too hard but you want to give it a couple of firm taps, with the handle of a screw driver then try to start it. If it starts after doing this, you know it is the starter giving the issue.

CycleTechChick :

This is what the starter solenoid looks like. It will be hooked to the battery....first lead off the battery actually. That is what makes the clicking sound you are hearing. You can test it one of two ways. You can use a multimeter to see if you're getting power out of the solenoid or you can jump across the solenoid to see if it will start when you bypass it. If you aren't familiar with it, I would recommend not doing the second part or you could arc it and do damage to the electrical system. I'd start with tapping the starter first and checking to see if you have power coming from the solenoid.

CycleTechChick :

I got a notice that there was a system error not allowing my messages to send. Please let me know if you received 2 pictures and 2 messages. If you did not, I will re-post them

Customer:

Nope, didn't get the two images, but I did get the messages. I will try doing this when i get home tonight

Customer:

I used a multimeter last night on the starter solenoid and it looks like that is where my issue is. I will stop by the Polaris dealer today at lunch and pick up a new one. I'll let you know how it goes once I can swap them out.

CycleTechChick :

Sounds great. Yes the solenoid should have power coming in (from the battery) and power going out with the switch on, so if there's no power coming out but there is power going in, that should fix you up once you replace it.

Customer:

I replaced the starter solenoid and it fired right up. Thank you for your help.

CycleTechChick, Technician
Experience: Factory Trained with 25 years experience