asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I operate a motorcycle dealership and CCS Ducati Race team.
66560565

My aux. LED lights do not work. They are brand new. My old

My aux. LED lights do not work. They are brand new. My old lights work just fine. Is there a trick? This is a 12' HD streetglide. I bought the kit from Harley and I was supost to do was take the old ones out and install the new LED by just plugging in. The fuse is not blown. Put old ones back in and they work just fine.

asphaltcycles :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you. Many times when you replace a standard bulb with an LED, there is a difference. The LED takes way less power, so you will have to add a resistor in series to this light. What lights were replaced? A driving light, or turn signals?

Customer: I replaced the 4" auxiliary lights by the new LED headlight I put in with no problem. The Harley dealership said all I had to do was take out the existing lights and plug in.
asphaltcycles :

Ah ok, and the old light will still light up, so we know it has power. Have you tried both lights on this socket? (Just to make sure one light is not defective)

Customer: Yes, I even took them back and they gave me another set. They did not test the other set, but the new set does not work either.
asphaltcycles :

Ok, then the dealer has mis-advertised this in saying they are a direct replacement. You will need a resistor in series with the power on the plug to meter down the power to a level the light can take.

asphaltcycles :

Did you still need help on this? If not please rate my service, and it will close this question, but remember you can always come back to this page after rating, for more info.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, Thanks for your help.
David, no worries, please rate my service, and it will close this question, but remember you can always come back to this page after rating, for more info.