....
...., ....
Experience:  ............

I own 2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Streetbob. Will not start.

Customer Question

I own 2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Streetbob. Will not start. Symptoms are turn key, fuel pump pumps up, when push starter button nothing happens. No instrument lights or turn signals work. Just installed new battery. Any suggestions where to go from here?
Thanks,
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today.

Sounds like you were sold a bad battery. Do you have a multi meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Battery has been tested and is fine.

Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
your bike is indicating otherwise. do you have a multi meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I do not have one.

Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks. I would start calling around to see who has one you could borrow for a few tests.

New junk batteries are quite common. Without a meter you are kind of relegated to guess work, & without one I'd start by checking the battery cables at both ends for issues, as well as checking all grounds. I'd likely try new relays & of course replace all fuses.

Let me know if you get your hands on a meter & we'll check things out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will look into all of that tomorrow and let you know what I find.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, I look forward to hearing.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Also, this is not typically how a security system reacts but you may need to enter your pin to reset the bike from theft mode after a battery disconnect, if equipped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, found bad fuse and replaced. All instrument lights and turn signals now working. Still won't start. Can't get the security system to reset.. Replaced fob battery.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
If the red key icon is not on the security system is ok..

What happens now, turn over & no start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red key is flashing. No start.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
red key is theft mode;

o reset the code with a TSSM equipped bike (with button fob), you will:
1) Set your kill switch to off
2) Quickly turn the ignition switch on, off, on, off, on
3) Immediately press and let go of the left turn signal switch twice (press, let go, press, let go)
4) Press and let go of your fob button twice (press fairly hard, it's designed to resist being pressed by keys and whatnot in your pocket)
5) Current PIN number will be displayed on odometer
6) Change the PIN by pressing the left signal until the desired number is XXXXXXX
7) Press the fob button twice to cycle to the next number and repeat step 7
8) Press and let go the right signal and turn ignition off when 5 digit PIN is satisfactory
NOTE: Steps 2 through 4 must be completed in quick succession of each other.

Now you can have the bike armed, and disarm with the PIN (example PIN will be 25522 in the following steps):
1) Ignition switch to Accessories
2) Immediately press both turn signals at the same time (red key light on you speedometer will flash rapidly if done right)
3) Press and let go the left signal 2 times
4) Press and let go the right signal once
5) Press and let go the left signal 5 times
6) Press and let go the right signal once
7) Repeat for each of the last three numbers of the PIN (left 5 times, right once, left 2 times, right once, left 2 times, right once)
8) Red key on speedo will stop blinking if done right (security has been disarmed)
NOTE: Steps 2 through 7 must be completed in quick succession of each other.

To reset the code with a HFSM equipped bike (no button fob), you will:
1) Have your key fob near the bike
2) Set your kill switch to off
3) Quickly turn the ignition switch on, off, on, off, on
4) Immediately press and let go of the left turn signal switch twice (press, let go, press, let go)
5) Press and let go the right signal once
6) Current PIN number will be displayed on odometer
7) Change the PIN by pressing the left signal until the desired number is XXXXXXX
8) Press the right signal to cycle to the next number and repeat step 7
9) Turn ignition off when 5 digit PIN is satisfactory
NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed in quick succession of each other.

1) Ignition switch to on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried repeatedly to reset the security. Nothing works at all. The five dashes come up and it won't accept any code. How do I disarm the alarm system. I am frustrated. No way it should be this much of a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm system is acting like the battery in the fob is bad. Have replaced it.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for your frustration, I can fully appreciate that. The same thing happens if the battery in the bike dies, or is in a low state of charge. I know you said it was new & we originally started out to load test it but you found the popped fuse & we never got back to the bike battery. It still needs load tested. New batteries are often not that new, and about 8 out of 10 times a customer will tell me they had the battery tested, but when I walk them though the tests, the battery miraculously shows up as the issue. The load test tells me a load of information. If you still have that meter handy we should check battery voltage with the key off = & then the key on =

As far as resetting the alarm, that is the only way that I'm aware of. You have to reset the code to one you can enter to arm/disarm the system.

When you get to step 5 of the button fob instructions, the existing code displays, you then follow the next steps to set the new pin.

That starts at step 6 on the hands free instructions.
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Any luck?
Expert:  .... replied 1 year ago.
Please leave a positive rating or ask any needed follow up questions