CycleTechChick
CycleTechChick, Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained with 25 years experience
64407665

My bike is a 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500 Reverse gear and all

My bike is a 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500
Reverse gear and all the running lights, gas and temp. gauges have stoped working! Everything else is working like, the head light, horn, brake lights, turn lights, speed and RPM gauges, radio. I checked all the fuses under the left side cover, and the two 5amp fuses in the box with all the relays. All are good. What now???

CycleTechChick :

Hey there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to help you out with your question today. Give me just a moment so I can review all the information.

CycleTechChick :

When you turn the key to the on position, what comes on exactly? I know you said temp does not come on, but what about the N light?

Customer:

Yes the "N" light works.

CycleTechChick :

Are there any modifications to this bike at all?

Customer:

Some extra light.

CycleTechChick :

Have they been on there for a while or did you just install them before this issue occurred?

Customer:

they havve been on a long time.

CycleTechChick :

Will the bike start with the start button?

Customer:

YES

Customer:

the bike starts and runs good, only the things I listed in my ??? are not working.

CycleTechChick :

OK so it will not go into reverse and the reverse light will not come on, the fuel gauge is on E, the temperature gauge C, and the lights to either side of the headlight are not on.....is that correct? Sorry to seem redundant. I know your initial question gives this information, but I'm just wanting to clarify and ensure that I fully understand so I can know where to go in the wiring on this model because slight differences in what's going on can effect it. Also, is yours an Interstate, Aspencade, or SE?

Customer:

It is a Aspencade. all the running lights are out, front and back.

CycleTechChick :

Ok thanks so much. Give me just a moment.

CycleTechChick :

There is a 5amp fuse that is in a box on the left side of the battery, on the right side of the bike. This fuse blowing would cause those things to go out.

CycleTechChick :

There are 3 relays directly to the left of the battery (if you are looking at the battery....otherwise it is to the rear of the battery if you are sitting on it). The fuses are slightly above these relays.

Customer:

OK, My bike is about 5 miles away from my house, where i am now.

CycleTechChick :

Ok no problem. This message will remain open until you choose to rate my answer. Just click the x to close the browser window and come back to it when you have checked this fuse.

CycleTechChick :

If that fuse is good, check to make sure there is power going to both sides of the fuse with a test light if you have one. Let me know what you find out.

Customer:

I did not see any kind box any where around the battery, just the long main fuse, but under the other side cover, (left side) is the main fuse box, and right next to it, is another box with a lot of relays in it, and only two 5 amp. fuses, that are not blown, and do have juice. So now what???

CycleTechChick :

Full Size Image

CycleTechChick :

This picture isn't overly clear but you can see next to the battery the 3 relays and the fuses are just above those relays.

CycleTechChick :

I'm going to see if we have a 1500 in our other building so I can view for myself exactly how to access those fuses

CycleTechChick :

Full Size Image

CycleTechChick :

I don't have one over there and the book doesn't say, but look at this pic where my pen is pointing....if memory serves me correct, it's under this sheathing

Customer:

Yes, I did see that, it is a rubber boot! Is there a fuse inside the rubber boot???

I will have to take the seat off, tomorow to get to it. I have to go to work now. Can I connect with you tomorow???

CycleTechChick :

Yes I'll be on here from 9-5 tomorrow and yes, I do believe it's inside that rubber part....just pull it back to access the fuse. Goldwings have fuses and relays all over them....it's ridiculous h

ow many they have!

Customer:

sorry, I just got to the bike today, it was a lot of work to get to that boot. There was no fuse, only a relay. Since I had the battery out, I looked every where around under that side cover (right side) and there are no fuses on that side of the bike at all! It's going to the dealer today!!!

CycleTechChick :

Goldwings definitely don't make anything easy to get to....practically have to disassemble the bike to get to anything. Let me know what the dealer finds out if you don't mind. I'd be curious to see if it is that reverse fuse causing the issue. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the exact location but not having that model in front of me, I could really only go from memory and what the manual was showing to be the area.

Customer:

where is the reverse fuse???

CycleTechChick :

That's the fuse I was trying to get you to check.

Customer:

On the left side, is the fuse box, and next to it, is a box with relays, and two, 5 amp fuses. I pulled every fuse in both boxes to check them. They are all good! Then I started the bike up, and then checked them all again with a test light. All the fuses are good.

CycleTechChick :

No this one is on the right side at the battery. It's only 1 5 amp fuse

Customer:

I looked every where i could on the right side, with the side cover off, the seat off, and the battery out. I looked over, under, in, and behind, and no fuse on that side. I could not find one at all.

CycleTechChick :

I believe you....just scratching my head and wishing that I had a wing here to look at.

Customer:

The rubber boots (3) next to the battery, only have relays in them. No fuses. I know that over the 12 years that they made the 1500, the looks stayed the same, but they did make quite a few internal changes every few years. They even changed the engine guards, from that oval loop, that stuck out by your feet, to the "L" shape, some time around 97 or 98. So if you do get one to look at, make sure it is a 1995. I should hear from the dealer sometime tomorow

CycleTechChick :

Sounds great!

Customer:

OK, the dealer said, and they fixed it, it was a broken wire, behind the dash board. They had to remove the head light to get to the wire. They said this was the third one they had with this same thing in the past 5 or 6 years. The first one was a 1994 Wing, then a 1995 like mine, now mine! I looked at a lot of GW sites, and found nothing on line about this problem, so it must be kinda rare! You made a hell of good try at it, but I could not have expected you to make that find, with out physicaly having the bike there.

So glad that they got it all figured out for you! I've never heard of anything like that either. I'll make a note of it though and if I run across it again, I'll definitely have that information to tell someone to check. Thanks so much!