Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

How do I program my new key fob, to my bike(2008 night train),

Customer Question

How do I program my new key fob, to my bike(2008 night train), I remember the code from the last fob. I have a new fob and the code from for the bike, i can start the bike, so why can't I change the code with what I have?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

see FOB assignment, below, from your owners manual:

Security System Fob

Top of page

Fob Assignment

See Fob: Smart Security System. Key fobs are electronically assigned to the Harley-Davidson Smart Security System by a Harley-Davidson dealer so that the motorcycle can recognize a fob's unique signal. Only two fobs can be assigned at any one time.

Replacement fobs can be purchased from a dealership but can only be assigned to the motorcycle by a trained Harley-Davidson technician.

NOTES:

• The reusable label found on the fob packaging lists the serial number of the fob. For reference, affix the label to a blank "NOTES" page in this Owner's Manual.
  • The serial number of the fob is also found on the inside of the fob. See Fob Battery.
  • The module will arm only if the fob has been assigned by a Harley-Davidson dealer and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) has been entered in the system. The PIN should be recorded on the Personal Information page in the front of this Owner's Manual and on the removable wallet card.
  • Should the rider misplace the fob or if the fob fails, the rider can refer to the wallet card and use the PIN to manually disarm the system. Refer to Arming and Disarming andTroubleshooting.
  • The PIN can easily be changed by the rider at any time. Refer to Personal Identification Number (PIN).

the new FIB can only be assigned by a HD dealer.

your old code will not work with the new FOB, unless you have the dealership assign that code.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I aready knew that, I was asking how to program the new fob to the bike.

I know it's a process, but I don't know what that process is. I know there are differnt processes, I changed the factory code to the one that is in the bike now. I was asking for the process of linking the fob to the new fob.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
we don't appear to be communicating.
I will OPT OUT in hopes another expert can provide you the answer you are looking for.
best of luck.
Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I do not understand why you would choose to leave a negative rating because the answer you asked for is not convenient for you.

I posted a copy from your owners manual. that's the answer. it won't change no matter how many negative ratings you leave.

best of luck.

Steve