Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

1100 classic: v..starter clutch repair/..metallic..timing marks

2002 yamaha v star 1100 classic Did the starter clutch repair/replace job that is common to these bikes. But when I started it up, there was a metallic tapping sound from what sounds like the rear cylinder. Checked the timing marks and when the lower mark is at the T line, the timing dot on the rear cylinder gear is off by 2 teeth. Tried manually turning the engine over, and they never align. Read that once in alignment, they will align every 8 revolutions. Safe to assume that's my problem? And if so, "simply' adjusting that gear to align should fix it?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 2 years ago.

the many revolutions need to align the timing marks is the mark on the middle gear under the case cove.

the T and the cam mark should line up every two revolutions of the crankshaft. with the timing marks off two teeth the noise would be from the valve is hitting the top of the piston. hopefully the valve is not damaged most likely it is ok since it is running ok.

yes the timing will need to be adjusted so the marks will line up and yes that should fix it when the marks are realigned. the cam timing mark may not be exactly on the cam mark. it could be a 1/2 a tooth off due to slight wear in the chain and chain guild system and that is ok it will work fine with it a 1/2 a tooth off.

if you need any more info I would be glad to help you.

Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP