Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.

honda: trx450 ES electronic shift..ecu and i..shift gears

Honda TRX450 ES foreman, All clymer test done for no electronic shift, all led to replace ECU and i Did, An old thread said to replace Shift control motor, I did. Still no go nothing and I mean nothing happens when I start the machine and try to shift gears. Need help

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am waiting for an answer. The only change is I was told this was an 2001 and By the serial no. I discovered it is a 1999 model.

unfortunately the earlier foreman 450's do not have a self diagnosing system. When something goes wrong with the shifting system, then it just goes into a fail safe and doesnt allow you to shift at all electrically. So for these you must do all the checks for the sensors and components that allow these to work. In my experience there have been a few common components on these that tend to go bad. First and foremost the angle sensor. the angle sensor is located on the front center lower part of the engine, it is covered by a metal gaurd. these sensor have been known to even test ok and still be bad. these sensor make up of 90 percent of shifting failures for this atv. next in line would be the connector for the shift buttons. the shift button assembly has a harness that runs down to a large gray connector. these connectors like to take on water, this causes some bad continuities for the computer to read, as well as can cause corrosion as well. again a very common issue with the earlier 450's. i would be sure to check or repalce these items if all your checks are ok. also be sure that the atv will indeed shift ok manually. if not you may have problems internally. the manual shift is a shaft that comes out of the engine on the left side by the riders left heel area. the stock tool kit would contain a wrench that fits the end of it, but a normal wrench can work as well. there is a bit of resistance when using these but it can help you shift into gear in a pinch.

Eric, Technician
Experience: MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.