....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

star: starter clutch drive gear assembly i..cyl..aground 2 rev

Customer Question

05 1100 v star had to replace starter clutch drive gear assembly i put the timing marks in line with the key way slot and matched the dots on the lower timing gear the upper timing gear dot is straight up cyl on TDC Compression stroke i slid the hub on key way in place when i roll the motor over it will go aground 2 rev and then stop like something is hitting
Help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 4 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

Have you had the battery load tested?

Customer:

yes new starter and relay

Customer:

and new bat

christopher :

I would like to have the battery voltage. 1. with the key off

christopher :

2.. with the key on.

christopher :

3. with the starter button depressed for 5 seconds

Customer:

13.6 volts 12.1

christopher :

Key off?

Key on?

christopher :

Starter button depressed for 5 seconds?

Customer:

im rolling the motor by hand with a 7/8 socket and ratchet with the side cover off spark plugs out

Customer:

the starter has nothing to do with it yet

Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.

Chris is out for the weekend and I am keeping an eye on his questions.

So when you turn the motor over using a wrench on the crankshaft, something is hitting and stopping the motor, correct?

What cylinder did you have at TDC when you installed the timing gear? Was the engine rotated when you had it apart? When the engine comes to a stop, does it feel like it's hitting something on the crankshaft, or more like the valves are hitting?

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i worked on it all weekend figgured out timing jumped 2 teeth.i put it back in correct time put every thing back to gether now starter will not turn fast enough to start bike and makes a howling noise
key off 13.6 volts
key on 13.6 volts
starter engauged 5 sec dropps to 9 volts
and is making a howling noise
yes it was hitting the rear cyl valves
Now im thinking its internal like piston or crank berrings ??
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
If the bike ran fine before the starer clutch work, I don't see how the piston or crank bearings would have failed. It is possible to bend a valve if you tried to force the motor over. You could do a leakdown test to check on that. Here is how to build a cheap tester and perform that test.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/leakdown.html

If you don't show any valve leakage, then no damage should have been done.

That is a huge voltage drain from the starter. Do you know that the starter motor/brushes are good? Could that have been why the starter clutch failed?

Did the starter clutch spin freely in one direction? Did it fit correctly? Is that the area the howling is coming from????

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the bike was only running on 1 cyl when the starter clutch went out thats why i also think when it jumped time it bent somethin else
what should the volt drop be ?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Around 2 volts.

I would do the leakdown test for sure if you suspect damage.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did leakdown test all is good. when i hit the start button the motor will turn over 3 revolutions and then the starter will not turn it anymore. battery test good and that is with the plugs out, its like its not spinning fast enough. i looked at a buddys i hear 2 clicks when i hit the start button on his and only 1 on mine what is that other click is there another relay or exiter somewhere
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked to see if both cylinders are firing when you are trying to start it? Try hooking a spark tester up so you can observe the spark when it's cranking over. You will have to use a tester (about $10 from any auto parts store) because you will need to check for actual spark while under load.

Chris is back so I'm going to turn this back over to him.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes spark is good with tester
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today.

So other than the timing issue that you had fixed, the battery is the only issue.

When you loaded the battery for 5 seconds & it dropped to 9 volts, that was it, game over, that is a junk battery. Anytime you drop below 9.5 vdc when loaded, the battery itself is junk or has an internal short. The humming also tells me that you might need starter brushes if in fact the starter was humming & not the relay.
...., ....
Experience: ............
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i replaced bat with a new one today fully charged same thing still wont turn it over, starter brand new , last week i even had it checked out by a professional starter guy here in town
thought i might of got a bad one new it does happen still same problem
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
Does the battery still drop down to 9?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i finally found the problem the bike jumped time as i said earlier the lower cam chain gear slammed against something and bent the whole gear and the shaft it rides on and the chain survived i dont know how but it did so i haved removed the engine and pulled that gear and one on the way
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.
wow, ok. the only way the bike could "jump" time would be if there were a tensioner or cam chain issue. It sounds more like it was set up out of time, otherwise you will need to inspect/measure that cam chain & double check the tensioners.