Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My 2004 yamaha yz 80 is getting no spark...cdi

Customer Question

My 2004 Yamaha YZ 80 is getting no spark. How do I test magneto & cdi unit &coil for operation?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 4 years ago.
it is a 2004 YZ85 or another year YZ80? yam made the yz 80 until 2001
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you are right about the yr . I just got it.and i believe he said it was a 85, but still no spark
you need a volt meter to test for voltage coming out of the stator and pick up coil. do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have one,so set it for 12volts? and which wires from magneto would i hook +&- to test ,would i test coil or cdi unit first also which leads go to which wire ?

you need to test the stator out put first. I need to get to my wire diagram for your bike I am not near it at this time.. i can get back to you tonight about 7 P.M. pacific with the info unless you want me opt out to have another expert work with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jeff guess I'll wait for email, have a good day!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jeff guess I'll wait for email, have a good day!Oh have anothert problem I have a 2005 polaris pheonix 200cc Quad ,starter went south, replace it with new starter that lasted about 10 starts and it went south. out 186.00$\ no warranty on electric parts. did i fail or is it just a fluxe .(maybe Murphy's riding b-tch)

on the yz disconnect the stator wires from the wire harness. on the stator side if the connector. attach one meter lead to the blue/white wire and the other lead on the red/white wire. the n kick the bike over. let me know the highest reading you notice.

was the starter oem Polaris part?