jmlloar
jmlloar, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Suzuki service pro certified multiple Yamaha and Kawasaki certifications
65746557

I have three Mule 500s given to me all KAF300b They all need

I have three Mule 500's given to me all KAF300b They all need to be gone through. I need to know about the ignition system. They have staters with two yellow wires and a coil with plug wire and one black wire that I asume is to kill the coil when grounded? Will they run stand alone with just a good coil? I dont see an igniter on any of them. These have all been molested pretty bad as far as wiring and if I can get spark Ill will rebuild fron there. Scott
is it a b1 or a b2?
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already have this picture, I dont have an alternator but a stater. I want to omit everything but whats nessisary for spark
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you still with me?

they should have put in generator (stator) inseted of alternator.

all of the components in the red box is what is needed for starting and spark.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
give me someone that can answer my question. I was sent a picture I already have. I need to know the basics as if no wiring exhist to get spark.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lets say there is no wiring, OK so what can I do to get spark? will the coil spark with engine rotation? There is only one black wire out of the coil. I read on Ask.com that to check the coil you only need to unhook the black wire. Does this mean the coil will fire when passing the magnet on its own? Scott

sorry I have not given you the info you needed. i thought you needed to rewire the unit.

the turning of the flywheel will cause the coil to spark the spark plug. the wire diagram does not show a internal circuitry to tell you how the system works. so i will opt out so another expert can help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im standing by

it may be not be until tomorrow till another expert who can answer your question is on line.

This is a very straight forward lawnmower type engine. You are correct on the wire from the coil being a kill wire. It is a stator charging system (that is an alternator) the ignition system is stand alone only need the kill wire to shut it off. to start this on a bench, clamp it down, hook batt - to the block, hook a small jumper to the small starter terminal with the other end bare, hook a small jumper to the coil wire you mentioned with the other end bare, lastly hook batt + to the large starter terminal. Hook a fuel supply (gravity fed works great here)

To start engine, touch the small from starter bare end of wire to batt + long enough to start it

To shut off engine touch the small from coil bare end of wire to a ground

Engine will not charge the batt like this but it will run for test purposes, (may not idle perfectly unless exhaust and air filter are on it)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats the answer I was looking for! So its simple turn over engine with starter and nothing hooked to the black wire on the coil and with a new plug. If you dont have spark you have a bag coil simple as that correct?
Yes, But no spark could be as simple as cleaning the magnets and coil pickup
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

magnets don't go bad do they?

no. but rust film will affect strength of magnets and spark

jmlloar, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Suzuki service pro certified multiple Yamaha and Kawasaki certifications
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have been geat now I can move foreward with my project! Scott
Thanks glad I could help. I've worked alot on this model and would be glad to hep if you need any more info feel free to contact me