Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

polaris..loud clicking noise..It goes away when I apply the brakes

Have a 2010 Polaris Razor 800S, Have a loud clicking noise in the back, It goes away when I apply the brakes ! Any tips on what to check ?
the brake pads are lifting and dropping in the calipers due to the normal lines or groves worn in the rotor. the only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the pads and rotors. it can come back just as easy as it happened before. it is just the way the brake system is designed i do not see all of the RZRs do it but a few come through the shop with this issue.
Can I scratch pad rotor and pads? Yes it can happen the pads and rotors will get groves worn in the pads and rotors from dirt and debris. the groves will cause the pad to move up on the groves and when it is at the highest it can go the pad will drop down causing the noise you are hearing. I have seen it happen a few times not often but it does happen.