....
...., ....
Experience:  ............
4419077

1983 honda: atc 200e that keeps burning out the spark plugs..heck

i have a 1983 honda atc 200e that keeps burning out the spark plugs, spark plugs last maybe 3 hrs off runnning time!! what the heck is the problem???????
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  .... replied 4 years ago.

Brian :

Good day and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with your problem today.

Brian :

What do you mean by "burning out"?... you are losing spark, or the plug is fouled?

Customer:

the plug is fouling(gets black)

Customer:

one mechanic thought it might be the pulsar

Customer:

the three wheeler starts good (has electric start) and runs good until the spark plug fails, some times we've been able to clean the plug with a wire brush and it runs again, but most times after cleaning the plug it still wont run, until we replace with a brand new plug.

Brian :

You can not clean a fouled plug.

Brian :

A fouled plug is different than a a failing plug.

Brian :

Plugs foul because of a rich fuel condition, lack or air supply to the engine, or due to engine wear & loss of compression.

Brian :

Additionally, a lot of people over fill their engine oil & that leads to fouled plugs as excess oil is vented back into the crankcase.

Brian :

I think you have a carb that is set up way too rich & you need your intake & exhaust valve clearances adjusted.