Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30 Years 2 & 4 Stroke Tuning
20496363

my moped will start but wont stay running

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Wicked Wrench :

Hello! Have you been helped yet?

Customer:

nope

Wicked Wrench :

I'll take that as a no. Is this a scooter? Is there a fuel tank located in the rear of the bike? If so there is a Vacuum operated Fuel Shutoff Valve that gets stuck sometimes either from debris, or from sitting for long periods. Do you have this style bike?

Customer:

yes

Wicked Wrench :

Check that valve. Locate it, & you should see a hose coming from the engine, & a hose coming from the carb. Let me know when you find them.

Wicked Wrench :

I'll check back in a few!

Customer:

theres one that says gas in and out and then there is one back by the tank thats plastic what to do

Wicked Wrench :

Carefully pull the hose that says out & see if you have fuel coming out. Have something to catch the fuel, and a rag to wipe up any spills.

Customer:

yes there is gas comming out i even pulled hose off by fuel filter and turned motor over and gas is pumping to carb?

Wicked Wrench :

Good. Clean that up, & get ready to start the bike. Can you do that right now?

Customer:

yep the same thing it starts and then dies

Wicked Wrench :

If you twist the throttle will it stay running?

Customer:

no just to let you know this moped you have to turn the throttle once before it will start if i dont it wont start

Wicked Wrench :

OK. The Idle Speed jet is clogged in the carb. Did you disassemble the carb when you were cleaning it?

Customer:

yes took all jets out they all looked like new no dirt its the type of bike that when you turn the throttle once it does something to make it start if i just turn the key over it wont start unless i turn the throttle once

Wicked Wrench :

Hello?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

do you have any other ideas i could try?

Customer:

thats not the kind of carb i have mine is moce complexed then that its got electric fuel pump ive disassembled it 3 times and sprayep jets same thing starts but wont stay running

Wicked Wrench :

Can you post a pic of it???

Customer:

has electronic choke i think thats why i have to turn throttle once no cannot post pic

Wicked Wrench :

Choke isn't turning on?

Wicked Wrench :

I have to run out for an hour. Can we continue then or would you like to have someone else help you?

Customer:

yes seems to be working nothanks i guesas i will figure it out myself thanks for trying

Wicked Wrench :

How does it seem to be working? can you see if there is power to it during the cold start?

Customer:

yes there is power there

Wicked Wrench :

Is the valve moving?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

im going to try taking the carb apart one more time and go threw everything and i will get back to ya in awhile

Wicked Wrench :

This time when you take the carb apart, use compressed air to blow through all orfices. Also, some automotive electrical or speaker wire will help clean that pilot (idle) jet. Strip the cover back far enough so the wire will pass through the jet, then strip the strands back until you have enough to go through the hole in the jet. Lastly, make sure you can see light through the jet, otherwise, it's still clogged. If this doesn't work, I'd look for a new carb. Try here>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWR5PO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005JA3422&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03ZK3RQYW5TYYW2VH7BD

Customer:

hi wicked wrench this is mark i got carb back together the bike starts and idles alittle better i kept it running long enough to take it down the road but when i slow down to come to a stop it dies? any more ideas

Wicked Wrench :

What did you do differently today as opposed to the other times you cleaned the carb? You should try to clean those jets one more time. The other thing you can do is put some Lucas Fuel Treatment in the gas tank, & ride it for a while. Lastly, did you adjust the idle????/

Customer:

.hey wicked wrench i changed the plug and gapped it .It was at 0.04 specs said .06 to .08 did that and it ran better need to turn idling set screw up and should stay running. the bike is in great shape its a 2008 phantom vento 147.5 cc carbon fiber fenders alumanum rims good tires 2000 miles on it what do you think its worth and please submit my payment i am satisfyed with your help thanks wicked.

Wicked Wrench :

Thats Great! Should be worth $800 to $1400 depending on condition. I cannopt submit your payment, you have to click on the "Accept" icon & that will submit the payment! Thanks for using JA!

Wicked Wrench, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 30 Years 2 & 4 Stroke Tuning