Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

how can i lower the seat height on my honda xr 650 beyond getting

Customer Question

how can i lower the seat height on my honda xr 650 beyond getting a different seat?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

I do not like changing suspension hight as that affect the factory geometry. But you need to do what works for a I understand. were the forks pulled up in the triple trees on the front end to match the lowering link in the rear end.

the best thing to do is lower the suspension internally. race tech does a good job check out this web site

http://www.racetech.com/html_files/LOWERING_SUSPENSION.html

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. i figured that there wasn't anything else simple to do. it's worth the price to find this out. thanks.
sure also i recommend higher soul shoes can help also.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, maybe i'll try a pair of my wifes high heels.

i bought the bike on ebay and never tried riding one before that. so i guess i'm getting what i deserved.....another lesson learned. they did raise the forks 1/2" in the triple trees which i doubt will change the steering very much. if i could get the bike down another 2" everything would be fine. it's a little awkward now, but it could be a lot worse. if you think of anything else, please let me know. thanks for advice.

dave

LOL

that would be a funny site see a guy wearing high heels to be able to stand flat footed with his bike under him.

raising the forks a 1/2 an inch is a big change in the geometry of the bike.

those are the things we recommend to our customers who have a hight challenges going on

the XR 650 it tall I am 6'3" and they fit me ok any higher would make it tough for me to ride

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff, it this is cheating just say so. i have one other problem with the bike. I changed the oil and used regular motor oil......Castrol. apparently some of the additives in the oil got on the clutch plates and now the clutch slips even though i only rode the bike for about 25 miles before i realized my mistake. i drained all the oil and changed the filter and put Honda recommended oil back in..rode the bike about 100 miles and did it changed oil again. the clutch is fine except when in fifth gear and you open the throttle the clutch will slip.....the engine revs up but you don't get the acceleration you would expect. starting out from a dead stop there is no slippage at all and letting the clutch out with the brake on stalls it every time. do you think a few more oil changes might fix this or have i permanentally coated those clutch plates with some anit-frictin additive?

i think a few more oil changes will get the oil out it will take some time to get the car oil out from between the clutch plates.

how much free play is in the clutch lever?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
probably 1/2 inch to an inch. about what i would consider normal. Definitely not excessive. the bike has just over 1,000 miles on it.
it is a personal thing I like mine with a bout 1/8 of free play i have bigger hands though. some like more it is ok as long as it has free play and will disengage 100% before or when the lever makes it to the handle bars.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK thanks.

glad to help

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i thought this was all part of the original fee that i paid.
yes it is, I am sorry I am not asking you pay again just a habit i have some times i hit the answer reply and not the info reply. sometimes i hit the info reply when i mean to hit the answer reply. don't worrie about the accept button you paid it is all good
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. and thanks for the good advice.
sure glad to help