Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

How to change a starter on a 2003 polaris magnum 330 atv

how to change a starter on a 2003 polaris magnum 330 atv
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 2 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

Customer:

good need to know how to change a starter on a 2003 polaris manum 330 4x4 atv

christopher :

Are you having problems

Customer:

yes

christopher :

Problems removing it?

Customer:

yes

christopher :

I can give you the instructions, just looking to see if you were having problems with anything specific

Customer:

no just need directions already have battery disconnected and starter bolts loose but cannot remove

christopher :

Ok, give me a moment to look some info up

Customer:

ok thanks

christopher :

Once the 2 bolts are removed the starter will need to be lighlty pryed and wiggled out. The nose of the starter builds up corrosion between it and the case, it sounds to me as though this is your problem.

Customer:

do not have room to get bolts out all the way...housing in the way

christopher :

The trick is to pull the starter back some this will bring the bolts further inward allowing you to finish unscrewing them

Customer:

will try, hang on

christopher :

okay

Customer:

still having trouble....there isn't much room between back of starter where bolts are and another piece...bolts seem to be really long

christopher :

The bolts are behind the clutch correct

Customer:

yes...it seems the belt housing is in the way, needs to be pulled back..can that be done?

christopher :

At this point you will need to remove the clutch to gain the room needed to get those bolts out. Unfortunatly to remove the clutch you will need a clutch tool to get it off. Give me a moment and i will get you a pic of the tool as well as a place to order one. Unless you have a dealer close by

Customer:

my husband is working, i am typing....looks like they got one bolt loose, so it's closer...

christopher :

I have been able to cheat and sneak those bolts out in the past.

Customer:

he sure is trying!

christopher :

Its not easy

christopher :

Polaris says to remove the clutch but they assume everyone has the special tools needed

Customer:

of course....he finally got it off, but wants you to stay online in case there's any other trouble...

christopher :

Thats no problem.

christopher :

Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat. It is the only way i am compensated for my time. This does not close the question and you can come back at any point and ask follow up questions. You should find a link back to this question in your email.

christopher :

Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated

Customer:

ok thanks

christopher :

You are very welcome

Customer:

if i accept now does it leave this window open

christopher :

Clicking accept will close this chat and change the question over to a Q & A fromat, but from there you can ask as many questions as needed.

christopher :

They come directly back to me just not in a chat

christopher :

Here is the clutch tool in case he needs it in the future

Customer:

tyvm you were very helpful

christopher :

Your welcome

Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.