Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Mechanic
Experience:  15+ Yrs Factory certified technician and business owner.

how do you remove the front ball joints on a 2005 polaris ranger

how do you remove the front ball joints on a 2005 polaris ranger 700?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
After removing the plate on the bottom that holds the ball joint in begin to pump grease in the grease fitting. If the grease doesn't come out of the joint the pressure will push the ball joint right out.

If that doesn't work then you need to revert to the method of sticking a socket in between nut and housing and tightening it until it pulls the joint out. This is an easy way also, but sometimes hard to find the right peice of metal/socket to use.
Or alternatively heat it up and use a pickle fork to pry it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not too sure how I am going to get a socket into the housing, that is where I am having trouble getting the ball joint cap out to put a new complete ball joint together.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
The socket is supposed to go under the nut but be big enough to let the cap that's in the housing fit inside it.
So when you tighten the nut down on the socket it's pulling on the ball joint and it will pull it right out of the housing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure what the socket is going to do. But I took it to dealership and after $40.00 and there special tool that you stick in to the ball joint cap and tighten with a bolt that spreads out, and then you use a slide hammer to pull out. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX of the help you have given me.

Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
Sure, Glad you got it done.