Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

Kawasaki..The belt light stays on and the unit is in limp mode

I have a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650. The belt light stays on and the unit is in "limp" mode. I tried resetting the belt light but it wont reset. I have done this successfully in the past. I took the unit to a dealer and they are telling me the "computer" needs to be replaced for almost $800.00. I would be willing to order one and replace it myself to save money but I'm not sure exactly what part the "computer" is. Is it the same thing as the electronic control unit?

christopher :

Hello how are you

Customer:

good thanks

christopher :

I have had situations where it took me 10 times running through the procedure to get that light off

christopher :

Did you try it a couple times?

Customer:

I tried it about 5 times then gave up and took it to a dealer. He said they couldn't get it to reset either.

Customer:

He said they happened to have another prairie there so they swapped the computer and then the unit reset

christopher :

That changes things. I would say it def needs the computer then. I'll look up the part number for the computer

christopher :

CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRON
21175-0216

christopher :

800$ is wrong, i have replaced them for half of that. If you do not mind waiting a little longer i will double check the price and availability

Customer:

great thank you...do you know if the replacement is as simple as unplugging the old one then plugging in the new one?

christopher :

This site has one NEW for $300. Replacement is that simple.

Customer:

Thank you for all your help your advice was excellent. I think you have answered everything unless you have anything additional to add

christopher :

If you have further questions or problems let me know. You should find a link back to this question in your email. Please remember to click on the accept button, it is the only way i am compensated for my time...Thanks

christopher :

Positive feedback is also very appreciated as well

christopher :

Have A Happy New Year and Good luck

Customer:

Thank you...you too.