Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

How to remove the rear axles on Mule KAF620A

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 5 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

What part of the removal process are you having difficulties with?

Customer:

I don't know how to remove the axle from the transmission and the bearing. It is a 2 piece axle with splines in the middle.

christopher :

So you are trying to remove the drive shaft, not the axles that attach to the rear wheels

Customer:

I am calling the axle and drive shaft the same thing. It is more correctly a drive shaft. It has splines going into the transmission and splines for the wheel hub. It is also splined in the middle - separates into 2 pieces. I don't see how

Customer:

to get the drive shaft out of the transmission. There isn't enough room to remove the splines from the transmission.

christopher :

Give me a moment to look that info up

christopher :

Sorry but i am still a little confused as to what part you are refering to. From the trans is the drive shaft it then goes to the rear differential, from the rear diff on both sides are the axles. You are trying to remove the drive shaft correct

Customer:

I am trying to remove the drive shaft that is between the differential and the rear wheel. There is one for each wheel. I can't figure out how to pull the shaft out of the rear differential. To me, there doesn't appear to be enough room to clear the differential.

Customer:

I am trying to remove the axles.

christopher :

Ok great. It will be nesesary to unbolt the rear diff to allow the shafts to slide out

Customer:

I keep typing drive shaft when I mean axle. Sorry.

christopher :

CLick on the links. What component are we talking about

Customer:

I am trying to remove 39158A and 39158. They are calling it a drive shaft. There is one of those going to each wheel. I am trying to remove the whole drive shaft assembly. There doesn't appear to be enough room to disengage the splines on either end. I can't take out the differently as it is a part of the transmission.

Customer:

I can't remove the differential as it is a part of the transmission.

christopher :

I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you. Please do not respond back unitl you hear from them as it will lock me back into this chat

Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.

have you removed the rear brakes and backing plate all of 41035?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The drum and backing plate are removed. I want to remove the rear drive shaft. There is one on each side of the transmission. They drive the rear wheels. I don't understand how to remove the splined end from the transmission. Even if I could, there doesn't appear to be enough room to clear the transmission.

you will need to separate the shafts in the center to get them out. have you separated 39158 from 39158A?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Is there enough slack to get them apart? I tried. Maybe not hard enough.