Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

how to replace the starter on kawasaki mule 3010

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.
I believe it is remove the clutch cover if memory serves me correct. i will confirm that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is not practical, I removed the outer torque converter cover and you cannot remove the inner cover without dissasembling the torque converter, that is beyond my ability.
yes the clutch cover, clutches and the back side of the cover need to be removed to get the starter motor out. you will need a special clutch puller for the front clutch

"That is not practical"

Practical or not that is how the unit is built please don't get mad at the messenger

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I WASN'T MAD AT THE MESSENGER, PERHAPS JUST MAD AT KAWASAKI FOR POOR ENGINEERING, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO SIMPLE TO JUST PUT A BOLT IN PLACE OF THE THREADED SITUATION, HOWEVER ANOTHER POST SUGGESTED DRILLING A 1 INCH HOLE IN THE CLUTCH COVER OPPOSING THE STARTER BOLT AND THEN USING A LONG EXTENSION WITH A DEEP WELL #12 SOCKET. I DONE THAT AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY, MUCH EASIER THAN BUYING PULLERS FOR THE TORQUE CONVERTER. THEN I COVERED THE HOLE IN THE COVER AND EVERYTHING WENT BACK TOGETHER FINE. SORRY IF I APPEARED UPSET BUT SOMETIMES MODERN DAY ENGINEERING COULD USE A LITTLE COMMON SENSE......
thank you for letting me know it is not me that got you frustrated. as long as the fixed worked. that fix is not something you would find as a factory Kawasaki repair. i understand about engineers. at work we think they should be mechanics for two years before they can design anything. i would be nice to take short cuts like you did to have the unit work. i would have many customers upset at me for not going all the way to fix their unit the correct way.