Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257
Motorcycle

How to change a drive belt on a 3010 Kawasaki Mule?

Category: Motorcycle
replied 5 years ago.

It's fairly straight forward and is similar to changing a snowmobile belt.

Remove the inlet and exhaust hoses from the belt cover and remove the belt cover. Be careful not to damage the big o-ring that goes around the cover. Once the cover is off, I like to clean the entire area and inside of the cover. The belt dust is very abrasive, so you don't want to breath it in. I use a hot water spray, or a pressure washer with the pressure turned down. Then it's safe to blow dry the parts and wipe out the cover.

Notice that the belt has printing on it. I always install the belt so you can read the writing. When removing the belt, be sure it goes back on in the same direction.

Put the machine in gear with brake on. Grab the rear sheave and turn and move it apart. Then the belt will lift off and out. Install the new belt in the same manner. It's the same as doing a snowmobile belt. It's easy once you've done it a few times.

Check the belt deflection once the new belt is on. Deflection is changed by adding or removing spaces from the rear clutch.

Be sure to inspect the clutches for any wear. Make sure the cover seal is in good condition. Bolt it back together and you are done. Let me know if you need more help.

Doug

I am posting diagrams showing what I just described to assist you.

graphic

graphic

If that is all of the information you need, please click on the accept button so I get credited for my answer. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

Belt is broken, so we're not removing. I was told there are 3 pins (or dots) that must line up with something (don't know what) - can you address that?

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician replied 5 years ago.
Unless you are taking the clutches apart, there is nothing to line up. The clutches are balanced so must go back together correctly. There are alignment marks and I also like to mark them with paint or a sharpie before I take them apart.

Doug
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, don't plan on taking the clutches apart, but that makes sense about what I was told.

Accepting your answer.

Let me know if you need more help. Happy riding!

Doug