Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.
7400257

250 trailblazer: a grinding noise coming from underneath rider..trans

i have a 250 trailblazer that has a grinding noise coming from underneath rider. if it had a trans. i would say it was coming from that. noise is consistent, if it's moving. not a motor noise. gets worse under load, climbing hills- getting on it hard; all make noise worse. i am concerned if i continue 2 ride bad things r about 2 happen. help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.

Kawasaki Doug :

Hello

Kawasaki Doug :

The chain could have been knocked out of alignment, or the chain and sprockets could be worn out. I would first check the chain condition by trying to pull it off of the rear sprocket. If you can move it away from the sprocket, it is worn out. Check the teeth on the sprockets for signs of wear. Replace as a set if either is worn. Next, check the chain tension. If the chain is too tight or not lubed, it will grind and pop. Eye from the rear to the front along the chain to see if maybe the swingarm got bent and the chain is now out of alignment. It's also possible to have bent one of the guides so that it is now rubbing on the chain. Just bend it out of the way if that happened.

Kawasaki Doug :

It does also have a transmission, so there could be a problem there as well. If the chain and sprockets check out, that would be the next area to look at.

Kawasaki Doug :

The chain deflection is in the following chart.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

The tranny also uses a chain. Check to make sure the housing didn't get cracked and the oil leaked out. That would cause rapid wear and noise. Here is what the inside looks like.

Kawasaki Doug :

Full Size Image

Kawasaki Doug :

Can you tell me what sort of damage it received in the crash and what was done to repair it?

Kawasaki Doug :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes thx , talkn 2 my dad about what your advising

Kawasaki Doug :

OK

Kawasaki Doug :

Any oil leaks? Any damage to the rear of the machine in the crash?

Customer:

crash involved my dad hitting a tree stump with left front sending him n machine on a nasty death roll, leaving him n machine on there sides about 20ft from impact. dad spent week n hospital, nasty head injury. qiad fix was minimal, so we thought. heated n bent wheel hub back as straight as we could, bout it.

Kawasaki Doug :

OK, so there could be damage to the swingarm area.

Kawasaki Doug :

Check for any oil leaks around the tranny. Block up the rear of the machine and check to see that the axle is straight. Just spin the rear wheels and watch the center axle nut.

Kawasaki Doug :

Check the chain alignment to make sure it's running straight and check the chain guides. It could just be a guide rubbing on the chain.

Kawasaki Doug :

Then check the other items I mentioned.

Customer:

i agree , going 2 check that out, with your other sugg. if rear axle is bent would it cause noises

Kawasaki Doug :

It might cause the chain to get tight and then loose as it turns, depending on where it might be bent. I would raise up the rear so you can spin the wheels and watch what is going on.

Customer:

ok thx you have pointed me n right direction

Kawasaki Doug :

I hope your dad came out ok

Kawasaki Doug :

Let me know what you find after you get it checked over. I'm on most days and every evening.

Customer:

still a little shaky. happened n july and still not back 2 normal. slowed speech, short term memory problem, balance issues. doc. said could take up 2 a year 2 get back right. our fingers r crossed

Customer:

thx

Kawasaki Doug :

Good luck.

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic since 1978. Vintage motorcycle restorer.