Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician
41497032

Honda trx 300: i have a 1988 honda fourtrax trx 300 and the

i have a 1988 honda fourtrax trx 300 and the netral light stays on all the time the service book states that in 1988 they used two diodes where are they located
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 2 years ago.

christopher :

Hello how are you

christopher :

You have a sticking neutral indicator. Often the swich just sticks. Remove it and check it. Youmay be able to get away with just cleaning it out with some 2 + 2.

christopher :

Here is a link to a pic of the switches, reverse and neutral. Part # XXXXX and 23 are the sensors i am refering to.

christopher :

If you have more problems or questions let me know and we will get it figured out. Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time...Thanks

Customer :

No the switch is not sticking even with the switch removed and the wire that plugs into the switch is unpluged light stays on all the time! The shop manuel states that the 1988 model trx 300 has two diodes one is in box under front headlight but my question still is where is the second diode located , you guys have not answered my org. question !if you can't answer my question I want my money refunded!!

christopher :

Will the light go out if the wire is grounded?

christopher :

The fact that it lights up tells us the wiring and its components are good

Customer :

no the light stays on that is why they used a diode on the 1988 don't you guys ever look at a shop manuel ? the wiring is ok! no shorts, the diode is a oneway switch that keeps the feed back from light

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

They are located in the connector box, located close to the igntion module and alarm unit. It appears to be located at the front of the ATV. You should really consider to check the neutral switch with a digital hand held multi-meter before looking into anything else. These silicon recifiers usually dont go bad unless the system is getting to much voltage from the regulator/rectifier.

Being the light is on, sounds like there not bad.

I hope
you have found my answer helpful. If I have helped you,please click accept.
Clicking accept is the only way I am paid. Thanks & Goodluck RaceTech :)

You
may be wondering how to reach me in the future, if you have another question.
You can achieve this by requesting me to answer your question or in your new
question, put FOR RACETECH.

Even though you click accept now, you can still follow up on your question at
no additional charge. Thanks again.

Richard, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Senior Mechanic & Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In 1988 Honda used two Diodes The one you are talking about I have replaced it but the shop manuel for the 1988 showes two diodes used MY QUESTION IS STILL WHERE IS IT LOCATED (NOT IN THE BOX BY THE OIL ALARM! )
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Let me see what you are refering to. can you give me the manual part # XXXXX ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
manuel part #m346-3 clymer page 201 drawing #24 diode (I1988 only) I need this location
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

can you make a photo copy of the entire page and post here for me to confirm and look at ? Also if its a wiring diagram page, make sure at the top of the page it says 1988 and not a different year. That manual you have covers 1988-2000 and the wiring could have changed. Lets confirm that and work towards a solution here. Also lets make sure that you have tested the neutral switch. Confirm those 2 and let me know.

Also looking at this diagram here. The wiring never changed and there is no part # XXXXX the diode. Post a copy of the diagram and let me help you.